Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Grandma's French Toast Waffles


Becca here with a yummy post from Grandma!  After I posted her fabulous Black Bean Salsa recipe a while back (which I happen to be making today!), Pa-Paw pulled me aside later and said that he liked the post and all, and the salsa is good, but if HE had to choose a 'signature recipe' for her, it would be this one, and gave me this recipe card for French Toast Waffles.  Although I instantly recognized it as Grandma's writing & knew the story behind the recipe's origin, I asked him to repeat it to me to make sure I got the details right.

Grandma is a great cook, and loves to read cookbooks and try new recipes.  In fact, I think she's easily our biggest "Thrice the Spice" fan, as I know she's tried many, if not most, of the recipes we've posted here.  And Pa-Paw loves to eat her cooking; I've grown up hearing him tell her "Thank you for the Breakfast (or Lunch or Dinner), Ma'am" after every single meal, without fail.

So several years ago over breakfast, Pa-Paw was commenting on how much he loved the French Toast she'd made as a treat, and how he wished that there was a waffle that tasted just like the batter she used to soak the toast in before frying it.......and the light bulb went off in Grandma's head.  So a few mornings later, Grandma used the French Toast batter recipe in her waffle iron to make waffles, and her "French Toast Waffles" were invented!  I've had them several times, and they are yummy!  So thanks to Grandma & Pa-Paw for today's recipe!  I was kind today & posted the better photo of her even though I'm looking down & talking to one of the children :)  Enjoy!

Grandma's French Toast Waffles

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cup milk
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 egg, beaten

Blend egg, oil, and 1/2 cup milk.  Add dry ingredients & rest of milk.  Stir to blend.  If batter is too thick, add a little more milk.  Cook in waffle iron until light brown.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, they are good. Grandma made them for us a few times. she gave me the recipe and we use it when we make french toast.

    ReplyDelete