Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tasty Chocolate Toffee Bars


Becca here with one of my very favorite desserts to make and eat!!  I actually first got the recipe off of the Hershey's website, after getting some Heath Toffee Bits on clearance and searching for a recipe to use them in.  However, it has since apparently been taking off of their website, since I tried searching a number of different ways & couldn't find it.  I did make a few minor changes (as usual!) to the original anyway.

I've made this super simple recipe many times, including for Malachi's First Birthday Party, and it's always a hit.  I give it bonus points also because it's very quick, I can have it in the oven in less than 10 minutes easily, but makes a huge batch of a really rich bar, so a little bit goes a long ways.  Think more candy than cookie, they're dense and creamy!

Tasty Chocolate Toffee Bars

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened*
1 cup brown sugar (I prefer dark)
2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 cups flour
1 package (8 oz.) Heath "Bits o' Brickle" Toffee Bits, Divided
1 package (12 oz.) your favorite chocolate chips (I use dark or semi-sweet)

Preheat oven to 350.  Meanwhile, beat butter on medium speed until creamy. 

Beat in brown sugar, vanilla, and egg yolk until thorougly mixed.

Stir in flour and only 1 cup of the toffee bits.

Press into 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 pan (jelly roll size) and bake for 18-20 minutes or until light brown.

Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over top.  Let stand about 5 minutes, or until they are softened (they'll be dark and shiny looking!).  Use a spatula to spread them evenly over the top, and immediately sprinkle remaining toffee bit over top.

Cool completely.  I cut into smallish bars, about 1 1/2" square, because they are so rich.  Enjoy!!


3 comments:

  1. I have made these! They are addictive :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....that's why I usually make them for company & to take places, ha! Becca

      Delete
  2. Oh my yum!!!

    Blessings!
    Amber @ recipeswelove.net

    ReplyDelete