Friday, November 25, 2011

Roasted Sugared Almonds!

These are *THE* almonds.  You know the ones....you're at the theater or the mall, minding your own business, when all of a sudden you smell their heavenly aroma wafting through the air and can hardly ignore it.  So you go see where the smell is coming from, and find out that the almonds are outrageously priced.  Been there, done that.  And bought the nuts anyway, ha!  With 3 kids & a husband to share with though, that little paper cone of nuts doesn't go very far, so after a visit to the Noah Musical in Branson left me hungry for more sugared almonds, I (Becca) decided to learn to make my own.  I consulted google, of course, and used a combination of recipes to come up with this one that we love!  Be sure and start with raw, unsalted almonds.  Around here they're cheapest at Walgreens when they put them on sale for $4.99/lb for the Blue Diamond "Whole Natural" ones in the green bag.

I think these would make a great gift dressed up in some pretty packaging too; we made a batch to send to friends in Japan this week also, since they are definitely more mail friendly than cookies or something would be.

1 lb. unroasted, unsalted almonds
1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp. real vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (I prefer dark, but either is fine)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 250.

In large mixing bowl, beat egg white until frothy; add vanilla.

Pour in almonds, and stir well to coat.

In a separate, small bowl, stir brown sugar, white sugar, salt, and cinnamon together until well mixed.

Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the almonds and gently stir until the almonds are evenly coated.

Spread almonds in a single layer onto a lightly greased large cookie sheet with edges. 

Bake at 250 for 1 hour, using a wide spatula to gently stir the almonds every 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

The recipe that was the most helpful to me is here:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Cinnamon-Roasted-Almonds/step5/Roast-stir-repeat-Enjoy/

15 comments:

  1. YAY! Thanks!! Christmas gifts for sure! Not to mention my home will smell glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Those sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these, and they are awesome! Thanks, again.

    -Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jana, What a treat! Just thought I would share - I used raw sugar instead of white sugar. It gave the nuts a little different texture and they looked as well as tasted great. keep up the recipes - even old dogs like me can learn new tricks. Dianne Jones Huntington Beach CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I gave every teacher and coach these yummy treats! Thanks Thrice the Spice girls! Oh and we had some of course.

    Sue Capper

    ReplyDelete
  6. This mix also comes out really good with pumpkin seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made it tonight and it was awesome. Love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I will definitely be doing this! I'm glad you linked up to Kelly's Korner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know how you like them, they're definitely one of my favorites! Becca

      Delete
  9. Oh my, these are amazing!!! Thank you so much for this recipe. My whole family loves these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them, my family loves them too, and I love the way the house smells afterwards too :) Becca

      Delete
  10. I cannot wait to make these, except I think I am going to try it with cashews. I had some of those on the street when I visited NY and they were SO good. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this timely post. This will be a perfect gift for the ladies in my Bible study group! :-)

    ReplyDelete